BEFORE AND AFTER: THE RENOVATION PROCESS
This historic property was home to Reno’s most influential families from the city’s early history. The guest house, once known as The Chism House, was built in 1880 by Garner and Alice Chism and stood on a 115-acre dairy farm west of town. At the time, 2nd Street did not extend that far west and the property had to be accessed from 4th Street, across the railroad tracks.
John Chism, Garner’s oldest son, owned Chism Dairy from 1900 to 1950 and boasted the largest dairy in the state of Nevada in 1904. John’s brother Edward Warren Chism created the Chism Ice Cream Company in 1905. A water-wheel in the Truckee River provided power. Carnation eventually purchased the ice cream business and operated under the Chism name until the 1970s. In the 1940s, additions were made to the original home including an expansion, a five-car garage, improved landscaping, sweeping driveway, and a large pond.
The estate was first used as a venue in 2007 and changed hands in 2015 when it was sold to the Galgons along with the surrounding five parcels, including the Chism Trailer Park which is now called River West Resort. Kari Galgon is incredibly passionate about the historic site and has since installed state-of-the art kitchens, a reception hall, full bar, catering bays, and renovated the home to include top-of-the-line accents and appliances throughout. The Galgons now own 10 acres from the corner of Chism and West 2nd to Dickerson Road.
- 1401 W 2nd St, Reno, NV 89503
- By Appointment Only
The Elm Estate – An Event Venue
1401 W 2nd St Reno, NV 89503
Tours by Appointment Only